Love Valentine’s Day treats but not the ingredients they usually contain? These nicecream sandwiches are fun, festive, easy to make and loaded with good-for-the-body ingredients. The nicecream (a vegan frozen treat made from bananas!) is just bananas, raspberries, and coconut cream. It gets lovingly sandwiched between two halves of an Almond Dark Chocolate OHi Wholesome Bar for the perfect (and nourishing!) take on an ice cream sandwich. These are fun for kids and adults alike, and can be customized with add-ins or garnishes for even more Valentine’s Day flair.
- 2 cups ripe, sliced, frozen bananas
- 1 cup frozen raspberries, divided
- 4 tbsp coconut cream (Note: this is the solid, luscious, white fat that separates from a can of coconut milk and floats to the top. You can also just buy cans of coconut cream.)
- Dash of nut milk or coconut milk as needed
- 4 Almond Dark Chocolate OHi Wholesome Bars
- In a food processor, combine the frozen bananas, half of the frozen raspberries, and the coconut cream. Process until you achieve a thick, rich, icecream-like texture, adding a dash of nut milk as needed.
- Stir the remaining raspberries in by hand, allowing them to stay whole so that you have pops of pink color throughout.
- Spoon the nicecream into a bread pan (for thick nicecream sandwiches as shown in the photos) or an 8”x8” baking pan (for thinner nicecream sandwiches) and smooth it into a layer of even thickness. Cover it and freeze overnight.
- When you’re ready to assemble, carefully cut each OHi Wholesome Bar into evenly-sized halves. This will work best if the bars are at room temperature.
- Remove the nicecream from the freezer and carefully cut out rectangles that are the same size as the OHi Wholesome Bar halves.
- Assemble each nicecream sandwich and let it sit out of the freezer for a few minutes, just until the nicecream has started to melt along the top and bottom; this will help it stick to the OHi Wholesome Bar and keep your sandwich from falling apart.
- Place the assembled nicecream sandwiches in a covered container and refreeze for at least a few hours before serving.
- Enjoy! Keep any extra nicecream sandwiches in a sealed container in the freezer for up to a few weeks.
- Switch up the color and flavor by using any frozen berries you love, or a combination of a few types.
- Add additional flavor into your nicecream by including some fresh grated ginger, crystallized ginger, cinnamon, vanilla extract, or almond extract.
- After assembling, roll each nicecream sandwich in coconut flakes, mini chocolate chips, crushed freeze-dried raspberries, or crushed nuts for a fun, crunchy coating.
- After assembling, drizzle each nicecream sandwich with melted dark chocolate, almond butter, or coconut cream.
- Make a double batch and keep extras in the freezer for nourishing desserts over the next couple weeks! If you double the recipe, freeze the nicecream in an 8”x8” or 9”x9” baking pan rather than a bread pan.
About the Guest Blogger
Lee Corbett is a recipe creator, food photographer and author of The Rogue Brussel Sprout blog. She is passionate about creating nourishing plant-based recipes that are colorful, seasonal and celebrate fruits and veggies in all their glory. You can see all of her creations on Instagram (@TheRogueBrusselSprout) and on her blog (www.TheRogueBrusselSprout.com).